Taha Al-Douri’s work in painting is based on exploring the boundaries of perception of space as an element of virtual depth. The progress, since early childhood, was through establishing anatomical, and later, architectural and anatomical structures around which the general space of a painting revolves. In paintings on both canvas and paper, his technique of choice has become a combination of charcoal, oil paint, crayons, and occasionally gold leaf. Since 1995, Taha Al-Douri’s work has undergone a shift in the underlying subject matters addressed, moving toward theoretical reflections on questions of esthetic expression, and historic inquiry while experimenting with views of life as essentially complex and shocking through the improbable juxtaposition of its most mundane details.
Artist Bio / CV
Taha A. Al-Douri, B.Arch., M.Sc., Ph.D., IDEC
Asst. Dean, School of Architecture and Design
NYIT, Abu Dhabi.
- 2000 Ph.D. in Architecture, U. of Pennsylvania.
- 1994: Masters of Science in Architecture [M.Sc], Penn State Univ.
- 2011: Sideshow Gallery, New York- “It’s All Good: Apocalypse Now.” Title: “The Noble Sorrow.”
- 2010-2011: Vindemia Gallery, Dubai, UAE. “On The Duality of Existence”. Aspen Hall, Kempinski Hotel.
- 2010: Sideshow Gallery, New York- “It’s A Wonderful 10th Anniversary.” Title “In Deliberation.”
- 2009: Sideshow Gallery, New York- "It's A Wonderful Life". Title "Clandestine."
- 2009: NYIT Faculty and Friends show, New York. "Animal Magnetism". Title "Anthropomorphic."
- 2008: Sideshow Gallery, New York- art show entitled "Peace". Title "Infusion."
- 1996: Univ. of Pennsylvania. The Body and Building: [show included Mario Botta, Kenneth Frampton, and Frank Gehry]. Graduate School of Fine Arts, UPenn, PA
- 1990: Mural painting. The Royal Gliding Club, Amman Jordan.
- 2011: Gulf News (daily paper, weekend supplement). “Both Sides of the Story.”
- 2010: Khaleej Times (daily paper). “Design Maestro.”
- 2009: Middle East Architect. Interview with Jeffrey Roberts.
- 2009: Brownbook: An Urban Guide to The Middle East. Interview with Adrian Murphy.
- 2009: The National (Daily paper, House & Home section), with Daniel Bardsley.
- 2011:Lethaby, W. Architecture Mysticism and Myth. Trans. into Arabic, Intro. and Cover Art.
- 2011: [in publication] Article: “Restoring Legitimacy: Aesthetic Expression in Assuming Political Office.” Acta Systemica, Canada.
- 2011: Article: “In Pursuit of Peaceful Transaction: The Case of Abu Dhabi”. Acta Systemica, Vol. X.
- 2005: The Constitution of Pleasure: Francois-Joseph Belanger.
- Journal: RES. ANTHROPOLOGY AND AESTHETICS, Harvard University.
- 1996: Portfolio of Work in Portfolio Design. Linton, Harold, NY 1996.
- Fisher Fine Arts Library, UPenn, Philadelphia, PA.
- Collection of the Royal Family, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Private Collections of:
- M. Ramahi, Architect, UAE.
- A. Abadi, Architect, Iraq & UAE.