In my art practice, I am interested in visualizing the middle-point between the natural and digital worlds—a type of muge, a state of liberation from duality, a reconciliation of opposites…what could even be considered a 'loving embrace' of opposites. I am attracted to objects and environments that reflect nature and technology's in/direct effect on the human condition, musings on how an artwork manipulates vision—how we see or don't see the image/object itself—or how an artwork is looking back at us. In my own work, figuration, abstracted and digital forms, narrative and anthropomorphization have been reliable tools through which I can address these subjects.
The most recent series depicts visual patterns, codes and text born of our contemporary digital age set within and among forms appreciated for either their naturalistic authenticity, their spiritual references or aesthetic purity. The work itself ranges from abstraction to anonymous silhouettes, both small-size and on a grander scale, often as pixel-mosaic-filled stone forms, and in addition wall sculpture incorporating geometric patterns, symbols and coded writing from both analog or virtual sources.
Artist Bio / CV
2001 Master of Fine Arts in Painting and Sculpture, Mills College, California, USA.
1997 Bachelor of Fine Arts in Painting and Drawing, California College of Arts and Crafts, California, USA.
- Zen with a Kickstand, bayVAN 'Branch' Gallery, Oakland, CA, USA
- The Logic Stone, Rowan Morrison Gallery, Oakland, CA, USA
- Playing with Multiplicity, Compound Gallery, Oakland, CA, USA
2-3 PERSON EXHIBITIONS
- Steven R. Barich and Dan Nelson, 21 Grand Space, Oakland, CA, USA
- Steven R. Barich and Bas van Beek, Xi Gallery, Gent, Belgium
- Spacescapes-Landlines, site-specific installation/collaboration with C.Rusche, TENT. Center for Contemporary Art, Rotterdam, Netherlands
- BOOM!- 18th Annual Juried Exhibition, curated by Astria Suparak, Southern Exposure, San Francisco, CA, USA.
- Juried Annual 2011, curated by Paola Santoscoy, ProArts Gallery, Oakland, CA, USA.
- Between Gray Areas , Macarthur b Arthur, Oakland, CA, USA.
- Juried Annual 2010 curated by Sam Sherman, ProArts Gallery, Oakland, CA, USA.
- Passive/Aggressive curated by Jeannene Przyblyski , Southern Exposure, S.F., CA, USA.
- Object Oriented, The Compound Gallery, Oakland, CA, USA
- Animal Magnetism, Orange County Center for Contemporary Art, Santa Ana, CA, USA.
- On the Mark!, Turchin Center for the Visual Arts, Fall'07/Winter'08, Boone, NC, USA.
AWARDS & RESIDENCIES
2008 Works/San José, Artist Residency Program, San José, CA, USA
2005 Air Bergen, Artist’s Residency Program, USF Verftet, Bergen, Norway (www.usf.no)
RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE
2001-10 Editor/Designer, The Picasso Project, Alan Wofsy Fine Art, USA.
2005-08 Extended Education faculty, Advanced StudioPainting, CCA, Oakland/S.F., California.
2005-08 YASP/Special Programs faculty, CCA, Oakland/S.F., California.
2006-07 PT Faculty, Diablo Valley College, California. Painting I and II courses.
PUBLICATIONS & OTHER MANIFESTATIONS
2010 Art Publishing Now, advisory committee and APN Library
2009 Pro Arts Juried Annual 2010, East Bay Express
2009 Best of the Bay Blog 2009, East Bay Express, for Artopic.org.
2009 Art Ltd Magazine., art pulse, may/june issue