The drawings that make up The Male Gaze series were created from March 2005 to September 2007. I used actors in DVD movies as models to sketch images of male emotion. I wasn't interested in their celebrity, so the actors' names were not recorded. Each drawing was done quickly and I edited them frequently. Now that the series is complete, my intention is to wallpaper the interior of an empty house or similar space with the 400+ drawings to create a contemplative visual experience.
The second group of images combines several of my favored elements: drawing, repetition, circles, color, movement and metamorphosis. The lighthearted results are both pattern and anti-pattern.
Artist Bio / CV
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, MFA
- Kent State University, BFA
- It's A Dead Man's Party, Santa Cruz MAH 2012
- Casting a spell, PAFA 2007
- 72 men's eyes on 4 walls, PAFA 2006
- Zeitgeist, SOMArts, San Francisco
- Waste Not, Fibre Arts Gallery, Palo Alto
- United In Difference, Open Concept, Grand Rapids
- Kinsey Institute Juried Show, Indiana U.
- The Guerrilla Show, Arc Gallery, San Francisco
- Arts on Fire XIV, Sanchez Art Center, Pacifica
- Postcards from the Edge, ZieherSmith, NYC
- Kinsey Institute 4th Juried Show, Indiana U.
- Obama-rama, Projects Gallery, Philadelphia
- Postcards from the Edge, Metro Pictures NYC
- Paper, Projects Gallery, Philadelphia
- The Green Exhibit, Art in City Hall, Philadelphia
- Fresh!, Projects Gallery, Philadelphia
- It's Not Easy, Exit Art, New York City
- 5 into 1+1, Moore College, Philadelphia
- Best in Show, "5 into 1+1"
- Moore College of Art & Design, 2008
- Awards of Excellence, Art Directors Club
- Houston, 1996
- Design Excellence, PRINT Design Annual '92, '89
- The Kinsey Institute
- Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History
- DoNArTNeWs, “The Green Exhibit...City Hall”,
- Brewermultimedia, November 29, 2008
- Lori Hill, "First Friday Focus",
- City Paper, Sept 4, 2008
- F. Lennox Campello, "At Projects",
- Daily Campello Art News, Aug 13, 2008
- Fallon and Rosof, “5 into 1 + 1…”,
- Art Ledger, June 12, 2008
- Libby Rosof, “5 into 1 + 1…”,
- Arte10.com, June 11, 2008